Friday, June 22, 2007

Saluyot

Saluyot or molokhiya (or melokhiya) is a leafy vegetable native to the Mediterranean regions.
When overcooked it becomes slimy like okra. Ilocanos love to cook them in their vegetable stew.


My favorite is when my grandma would cook them in garlic, fish sauce and vinegar which they call "adobo" or when it's added to fresh bamboo shoots. That's definitely home.

We don't get any fresh saluyot leaves here in the Midwest. If we want them, we can settle for the frozen ones imported from PI. So for years, I've been begging my cousin to send me saluyot seeds. But years passed and still no seeds. Last year, for the first time, my favorite on-line vendor of Asian vegetable seeds, Evergreen Seeds, started selling them.

I ordered a packet but Mom said that it didn't turn out to be saluyot. Not one to be discouraged easily, I ordered once again this year and planted them myself. And marked the space where I strategically spread them. When the seeds started germinating two weeks ago I was starting to doubt if it really was what it should be. Maybe Mom was right all along, I thought, disappointedly.

But this week, to my pleasant surprise, it looks like we're going to have fresh saluyot this summer after all! Hallelujah!

P.S. Last night, the rabbits, unfortunately, had my saluyot for dinner. Grrrr!

13 comments:

jp said...

Hi Nice, I am from Montreal CANADA i want to find SALUYOT SEEDS. Do you know a place selling them? Thanks

Touch Me Not said...

You may order them at Evergreen Seeds.

Anonymous said...

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this blog's articles daily along with a cup of coffee.

Also visit my blog post ... Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags

Anonymous said...

If some one needs to be updated with newest technologies
then he must be pay a quick visit this website
and be up to date all the time.

my webpage; Authentic Kris Letang Jersey

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered publishing an ebook or guest authoring on
other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same information you discuss and would really like
to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience
would appreciate your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to
shoot me an e mail.

Here is my web blog ... Cheap Jerseys

Anonymous said...

It's remarkable for me to have a web page, which is valuable for my experience. thanks admin

Feel free to surf to my webpage Louis Vuitton Handbags

Anonymous said...

In fact, some of whom are pushing the boundaries of the acoustic best.



Feel free to visit my homepage ... http://makeroomfor.blogspot.Com/

Anonymous said...

I visited several websites but the audio feature for audio songs existing at this web site is in
fact marvelous.

Check out my website: http://slc-wireless.com/air-jordan-pas-cher.html

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good success.
If you know of any please share. Thanks!

my web page ... website

Anonymous said...

magnificent points altogether, you just received a new reader.
What would you suggest in regards to your publish that you just
made some days ago? Any certain?

Feel free to visit my homepage Michael Kors Outlet

Anonymous said...

We stumbled over here different web address and thought
I might check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking over your web page yet again.

my weblog: Abercrombie France

Anonymous said...

Keep this going please, great job!

Feel free to visit my webpage: Sac A Main Louis Vuitton

Anonymous said...

Very good information. Lucky me I discovered your website by chance
(stumbleupon). I have bookmarked it for later!

Here is my web site ... Sac Louis Vuitton Pas Cher